Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hidden Statistics

"October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. As a previous victim of DV I think it's important to highlight a crime that still goes unrecognised in some areas of society. Domestic Violence kills hundreds of men and women every day - up to 60% of female murder victims are killed by their current or ex partners. I'm going to be lighting a candle for the victims of Domestic Violence - I hope that some of you may join me."

We all have a story to tell, one of courage, survival and terror. I too am a survivor. I said to one young friend one day that if I told her even a little of what I have been through in my life it would make her hair curl.

To look at me I am not one who shows scars. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, only scar I have is a nose that has been shifted ever so slightly. The majority of my scars however are internal. Scars that are painful when touched even now, scars that eventually when I learn to love and forgive myself will be healed totally.

Men also are victims of Domestic Violence. This is also not unique to heterosexual couples either. 

This is a generational occurrence. Boys are taught by their fathers how to treat the women in their lives. Women teach their daughters how to expect to be treated by males....

Parents... PLEASE think about this.. what are you showing your children?


No comments:

Post a Comment